Home Care For Adults | New York


CDPAP Ulster County

The Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) is a Medicaid-funded initiative that empowers elderly or disabled individuals in Ulster County to take charge of their care by making choices that best suit their personal needs. For assistance with the application process or to gain more insight into how the program can be customized to individual requirements, contact Home Care For Adults at 929-205-5558. Our team can provide detailed information, guidance on eligibility criteria, and support throughout the application process, ensuring a smooth transition into this self-directed care program.

Comfort and Independence

Your Care - Our Passion

The goal of CDPAP is to bestow recipients with decision-making power, letting them decide the nature, provider, and delivery mode of their care.

CDPAP Program Provider in Ulster County, NY

What is CDPAP?

CDPAP is a Medicaid program that gives you the authority to choose your caregiver. This person, whether a family member or friend, will be compensated by the government for assisting you. This differs from traditional home care agencies where you might receive care from a stranger with limited capabilities. Instead, CDPAP enables you to hire someone you already know and trust.

Eligibility for CDPAP

Ideal candidates for CDPAP include those with chronic illnesses or physical disabilities. Representatives, like parents of a chronically ill or disabled child, can also apply on behalf of the consumer.

To be eligible for the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) in Ulster County, applicants must meet certain criteria:


  • Individuals must be enrolled in Medicaid to qualify for CDPAP funding.
  • A medical professional must certify that the applicant requires home care services.
  • Candidates or their designated representatives must be capable of making informed choices about their care, including selecting and managing caregivers.
  • Applicants must be residents of New York State.

Who Can Be Your Caregiver?

A wide range of adults can serve as caregivers, including adult children, friends, nieces, nephews, and cousins. However, there are exceptions:

  • Spouses cannot be caregivers due to the inherent marital responsibility of caring for one another.
  • Children under 21 are ineligible, as parental care is expected without compensation. However, parents can become caregivers for their adult children (21+) with chronic illnesses or disabilities.
  • Direct Representatives (DRs) are also not eligible to be caregivers under CDPAP.
cdpapp 1

Applying for CDPAP

The application process for the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) in Ulster County involves several key steps:

  1. Applicants must provide proof of their current enrollment in Medicaid. If not already enrolled, guidance on Medicaid application is available.
  2. A medical professional must evaluate the applicant’s condition to confirm the necessity for home care services. This evaluation typically includes an examination and a discussion about the applicant’s daily living activities and care requirements.
  3. Applicants need to complete and submit the required CDPAP application forms. These forms collect information about the applicant’s medical condition, care needs, and the type of assistance required.
  4. Once approved, the applicant or their representative can choose a caregiver. This can be a family member, friend, or any individual the applicant trusts, provided they meet the program’s guidelines.

Can I Be a Caregiver if I’m Non-U.S. Citizens?

For the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) in Ulster County, non-U.S. citizens are eligible to serve as caregivers, provided they meet certain legal requirements. The program recognizes the diverse nature of families and communities and allows for a wide range of caregivers, including those who may not be U.S. citizens. To be a caregiver under CDPAP, non-U.S. citizens must have the appropriate work authorization in the United States. This ensures compliance with federal employment laws. Applicants and their chosen caregivers are advised to verify the specific documentation and legal requirements needed for non-U.S. citizens to work as caregivers. For assistance and detailed information on these requirements, contacting Home Care For Adults at 929-205-5558 can provide clarity and guidance.

Request a FREE CDPAP consult.

Home Care For Adults Home Care Advisory Group provides free assistance with Home Care and Medicaid for Home Care in the following New York City (NYC) boroughs:

Skip to content